1. REVIEW THE PAINTING CONTRACTORS’ TRACK RECORD IN THE COMMUNITY:
- Affiliated with the Better Business Bureau with an A+ Rating
- Number of years experience
- Willing to provide many references
- Verify insurance coverage for Worker’s Compensation & General Liability
- Copy of Business License
2. BE SURE TO RECEIVE A WRITTEN PROPOSAL PROVIDING THE SCOPE OF WORK TO INCLUDE ALL DETAILS DISCUSSED AT FREE ESTIMATE:
- Including warranties for Labor and Material
- NEVER put down a Deposit – Reputable contractors do not require them
- Make certain the materials used are listed properly (Remember all paint manufacturers have multiple grades/levels of paint)
3. IS THE CONTRACTOR AN OWNER/OPERATOR WITH A CREW PERFORMING THE JOB? Owner-run jobs ensure a vested interest in the project running smoothly, safely, and efficiently, thus resulting in another satisfied customer:
- Confirm people who will be working on the project
- Is work subcontracted out?
4. IS PROJECT GUARANTEED TO BE PERFORMED IN A TIMELY MANNER?
- Example: Job will be done in a set amount of days and will be done consecutively
5. MAKE CERTAIN THE WRITTEN PROPOSAL ADDRESSES ALL OF YOUR CONCERNS (FROM A – Z):
- If not, ask for proposal to be revised
- Avoid verbal agreements
6. DOES CONTRACTOR USE TOP QUALITY MATERIALS FROM PREPARATION TO FINISH COATING?
- Example: Caulking, Sealer / Primers, Finish Coatings
- There are many types of finish coating choices and each job is different
- Make sure that the contractor explains all of them thoroughly and recommends the best one suited for your project
7. IDEAS/QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER IN HIRING/SELECTING A REPUTABLE PAINTING CONTRACTOR:
- Word of mouth
- Starts with happy customers! Ask your neighbors, call your local BBB etc. If you see a home in your neighborhood/community that’s being worked on ask if they are satisfied and would recommend their contractor
- When following up with a contractor’s reference, be sure to always ask all pertinent information. Is their staff professional, courteous and helpful? Is owner on site? Did contractor address all aspects of written proposal/scope of work? Did contractor protect all surrounding surfaces not being painted?
8. LASTLY, GO WITH YOUR GUT! MAKE CERTAIN TO MEET WITH THE OWNER AND ENSURE THAT THEY ADDRESS ALL OF YOUR CONCERNS. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR OLD-FASHIONED INSTINCTS
Should you have any questions or if we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are looking forward to surpassing your expectations and making you one of our many satisfied customers.